INCBA Forum and Blog Policy
The CANBAR Forum is an online community for members of the International Cannabis Bar Association (INCBA). It is intended to allow our members to communicate about issues facing their practices, request information about experts in different geographic locations and substantive areas, solicit the advice of peers and engage in ongoing discussions affecting the practice of law in the cannabis arena.
Thank you for being part of this community. We have established some basic guidelines to ensure the best possible experience for all members, to keep the Forum functional and constructive and to preserve an environment of civil and fruitful dialogue. To that end, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate participation by anyone who does not abide by our rules. Please familiarize yourself with the guidelines below and direct any questions or concerns to the CANBAR Forum Moderator via the link below.
- Member-Use Only. The CANBAR Forum is solely for the use of INCBA members.
- Assume Non-Members Will View Content. Although access to this Forum requires a current INCBA membership, we cannot prevent third-parties from viewing information and content posted here. Accordingly, you should not post anything that you do not want the world to see or that you do not want attributed to you as the author. In short, we have designed the Forum to be private as between our members but you should have no expectation of privacy or confidentiality in your posts.
- Respect Others. Different perspectives and viewpoints are welcome on this Forum and, when expressed appropriately, can lead to valuable discussions and insight that benefit our community. You are free to disagree with others here and to articulate that disagreement. When doing so, focus on the content of the posts rather than the person making them. Extend the benefit of the doubt to all contributors. If you disagree with someone, craft a constructive response that is respectful and non-disparaging in tone and content. Language can be hurtful even when delivered with the best of intentions. Remember that INCBA has a large membership and many will read your remarks. Avoid posting anything that would tend to embarrass or demean another member or any third party.
- Respect the Purposes of the Forum. Use this Forum for the purposes described above: To communicate about issues facing their practices, request experts in different geographical locations and substantive areas, solicit the advice of peers and participate in ongoing discussions affecting the practice of law in the cannabis arena. You may also use the Forum to share successes and challenges, to express an opinion and to offer constructive feedback, provided you do so in a respectful way.
- Exercise Restraint. Posts on this Forum are subject to libel, slander, antitrust and privacy laws, and may give rise to other claims from members or third-parties. With that in mind, exercise restraint and caution.
- No Defamatory, Abusive, Offensive, Illegal Content. Defamatory, abusive, threatening, offensive, menacing, harassing, discriminatory, rude and illegal content and materials are strictly prohibited. Anyone with concerns about a post should bring it to the attention of the Forum Moderator at the earliest possible date.
- Respect Intellectual Property. Only post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the author/creator/owner. When posting or otherwise sharing documents, forms or images, indicate if the item is not available for reuse or if reuse requires attribution and the manner of such attribution. If you are not the author/creator/owner of a work, it is advisable - and your responsibility - to contact the author/creator/owner to obtain permission for reuse and to acquire any necessary consents. You may not post anything protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner (see “Legal Notice” below).
- No Solicitations or Advertisements. You may not use this Forum to solicit work or business in an aggressive manner or to advertise. Doing so harms the integrity of the Forum. Posts that are construed as solicitations or advertisements will be removed. Members on this Forum periodically request referrals to practitioners in geographic locations or with specific subject matter expertise. Such requests are welcome, and if you are qualified you may respond on your own behalf or on behalf of your firm. You may not respond to an inquiry about specific services with an offer to provide different services. Please remember that the primary purpose of this Forum is neither networking nor self-promotion.
- Discussion Topics and Categories. As a member, you may create new discussion topics and categories – and we encourage you to do so. Please review existing topics and categories first to avoid redundancy and duplication. When creating a new topic or category, the subject line should be clear and concise. This makes it easier for all members to search the Forum and allows them to respond more appropriately to your posting. The Forum Moderator may reassign your post to another topic or category or revise your subject line as appropriate.
- Posting is Not Anonymous, Posts are Not Private. As INCBA members are aware, non-hemp cannabis is a Schedule I controlled substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act, is illegal at the federal level and in many jurisdictions throughout the United States, and the law with respect to providing legal services in this area remains unsettled. Members do not post anonymously on this Forum nor is the content of posts necessarily private (as noted, the Forum is for members only but the Internet is inherently non-private and non-confidential). Members should assume their posts will be read by various authorities and should proceed accordingly.
The CANBAR Forum is provided as a service for members of the International Cannabis Bar Association (“INCBA”). INCBA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted here (each, a “Forum Post” and collectively, “Forum Posts”). INCBA does not review Forum Posts for accuracy and disclaims all warranties with regard thereto. In no event shall INCBA be liable for damages of any nature or description resulting from a Forum Post, including but not limited to special, indirect or consequential damages arising from loss of use, data or profits arising out of or in connection with the use of or reliance on any Forum Post.
You may not post information or material that is defamatory, abusive, threatening, offensive, menacing, harassing, discriminatory, rude or illegal. You may not post any information or material protected by copyright without the copyright owner’s permission or as otherwise permitted by law. By posting information or material, the posting party warrants and represents that she/he/it/they owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants INCBA and users of this Forum the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit and use such information or material.
INCBA does not monitor this site for inappropriate postings and does not exercise any editorial control over Forum Posts. In the event any inappropriate or otherwise improper posting is brought to INCBA’s attention, we will take appropriate action.
CANBAR Forum Moderator
INCBA Blog Policy
The International Cannabis Bar Association (“INCBA”) shall maintain a weblog or “blog” on its website (the “Blog”), which Blog shall be managed by INCBA’s Online Content Committee (the “Committee”). The Committee shall work to create and solicit content for the Blog and review all entries submitted for publication on the Blog. All entries shall be subject to the following INCBA Blog Rules and Guidelines, which shall be posted or linked on the main blog homepage:
INCBA Blog Rules and Guidelines
1. All entries shall be at least 500 words. There is no maximum wordcount, however, lengthier entries may be refused.
2. All entries must relate to timely and relevant topics in the cannabis industry.
3. The INCBA Online Content Committee (the “Committee”) may perform certain editing, preferably for the purposes of correcting grammar, spelling, and syntax. It is not the Committee’s desire or intention to edit for context or content.
4. The Committee will, to the extent possible, retain the author’s voice and intent. The Committee will take all reasonable efforts to accommodate authors who feel their voice or intent was overwritten.
5. All authors will be required to sign a Copyright License and Release Agreement (the “Release”) Entries will not be accepted without a signed Release from the author.
6. The Committee shall have final say on the publication of any entry.
7. The Committee will accept reproduced content or content that has been used by another source (e.g., a law firm blog), as long as all other requirements are complied with.
8. Disparaging remarks, including those regarding but not limited to other attorneys, members or perspective members of INCBA, will not be tolerated. Factual statements are permissible, but those that imply bad faith, unethical behavior or accusations of a person’s lack of professional competence are impermissible.
9. The INCBA blog is for informational purposes only, and is not to be used for the solicitation of services. Any entry that appears to be promoting services in lieu of providing an informational resource will not be accepted.
10. Factual inaccuracies will not be tolerated. Novel legal arguments and opinions are welcome, but the underlying facts must be accurate. Material that is not supported by facts will be removed. Authors may be asked to cite or verify factual support for information.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed on this web site and/or email (the “INCBA blog”) are solely those of the author(s) and contributor(s) of the above content/submission. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the International Cannabis Bar Association (“INCBA”), its staff, officers, members or any other author/contributor to this platform. The material and information contained on the INCBA blog is for general information purposes only. You should not rely upon the material information on the INCBA blog as a basis for making any business, legal or any other decision. The information contained in the INCBA blog should not be construed as, and is not intended to be, legal advice of any kind. Whilst INCBA endeavors to keep the information up to date and accurate, INCBA makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the INCBA blog or the information contained herein. Any reliance on the information contained within the INCBA blog is therefore strictly done at your own risk. INCBA disclaims, and shall not be liable in any way, for any false, inaccurate, inappropriate or incomplete information presented on its INCBA blog. Certain links in this INCBA blog could lead to websites which are not under the control of the INCBA. INCBA accepts no liability in respect of materials or information available on any website which is not under the control of INCBA.